Conditionals

There are three main types of conditions in English: the first, the second and the third. There names are very simple; however, their meanings are far more complex. Conditions, in English, range from the concrete aspects to the unreal, or abstract, things in life.

1st Conditional 2nd Conditional 3rd Conditional

If I do exercise, I will be healthy.

If Jack reads a lot, he will be knowledgeable.

If I buy a lottery ticket, I might win a million dollars. 

If I did exercise, I would be healthy.

If Jack read a lot, he would be knowledgeable.

If I had a million dollars, I would buy a house.

If I were you, I would practice more. 

if I had done exercise, I would have been healthy.

If Jack had read a lot, he would have been knowledgable.

If I had bought a house, I could have saved money on rent.

If you had followed my advice, you would have passed the exam. 



First, second and third conditionals diagram showing how they contrast each other for present and past situations while using mixed conditionals to connect the past and present.
click the image to enlarge

Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Gerund or Infinitive

File 5: Tijuana Brochure

TeacherEduardoNET